Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Spoiler filled movie review.

You have been warned. Continue at your own risk. This is ALL spoilers.
We went to see Star Trek at the 7 PM Thursday prescreening, in IMAX. Like most die hard fans, I went in with certain amounts of both trepidation and excitement. I am very glad I went to see this movie in IMAX as many of the effects were spectacular (blairwitchcloverfield shaky camera effects non withstanding) and it was well worth going to see it on the giant screen. The movie changes the tieline right at the start. The scene where George Kirk sacrifices himself just as he hears his son's borning cries is predictable- yet I found myself tear eyed. We then move onto glimpses into the childhoods of Kirk and Spock- I was disappointed by the brevity of the Spock'c childhood scenes, as I had read on the net that there was a good look into life on Vulcan inspired by Diane Duane's "Spock's World". Maybe in the dvd release?
The villain, Nero, played by Eric Bana, and his fellow Romulans diverge from the norm as much as the storyline , seeming more like Remans than Romulans. Nero is a one dimensional revenge driven character who could have stepped out of the "bad guy profile" of any number of past movies.
There are some stellar performances . Karl Urban, Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana get their characters spot on. I think we can say the same for John Cho, but there is not enough Sulu in the film to tell. Anton Yelchin is am amusing Checkov with an adorable accent. I can't tell why they took an actor, in the one film I have seen him in ( Hearts in Atlantis) had dark straight hair, hire him to play a character who originally had dark straight hair, and then curled it and bleached it? Chris Pine left me cold. He has no fire. Simon Pegg was also fun but I don;t think he captured the essence of Scotty...and what is up with his cauliflower headed sidekick?
All in all, this was a great movie, but not so great Star Trek. I am sure to watch it again; but if I could watch it with anyone in the world, it would be Joel Hodgeson or Mike Nelson.

No comments: