Monday, November 3, 2008

Enterprise: Kobyashi Maru By Martin and Mangels

I am usually a fan of Michael Martin and Andy Mangels, but I will say I found this book a bit slow. Not a bad story..but it took me over a month to read it (although Charlaine Harris is at least partly to blame for that).
Any fan of Star Trek knows what the Kobyashi Maru is- a no win test that command level cadets at Starfleet Academy must take in which they must decide whether, or how, to rescue a Federation freighter under attck my Romulans. This book looks at the origins of that test, casting the maru as a real ship manned by real, unusual and flamboyant people ( of the type it's hard to imagine survivin into the Next Gen era Federation)- and of course, with Jonathon Archer as the captain who must make the hard decision.

No comments: