Monday, October 13, 2008

Myriad Universes: A Less Perfect Union

William Leisner's tale of an alternate TOS era timelime is the first novella in "Infinity's Prism". IN case I haven't said it before- I love " alternate timeline" stories. It has been said ( and I am thinking of Ursula K LeGuin when I say this, although she may have been quoting another) the the basic premise of any sci-fi story is, "What if?" Alternate time lines in an established sci-fi universe are like "What if- what if?" Sci-fi, supersized.
This story takes place in a timeline where Earth never joined the Federation, meaning Christopher Pike never went to Talos IV, and Kirk never rose above XO. T'Pol remained on Earth, but in hiding , as anti- alien sentiment runs rampant. Perhaps the best part, for me, is the way the story "explains" the fact that the Romulan commander from "Balance of Terror" just happens to look like Sarek- and what could happen if they meet.

No comments: